Scholarship Awards: 2 awards of $2,000 each
The South Pasadena Chinese-American Club (SPCC) established this scholarship in memory of Dr. Karl J. Hwang, a biophysical chemist and the late President and Co-Founder of SPCC.
South Pasadena High School (SPHS) graduating seniors admitted to an accredited four (4) year college/university in the U.S.
The 2017 Application may be printed from the website or obtained from Ms. Denise Gill, SPHS Scholarship Chairperson.
The following must be submitted with the application:
- Official transcript of cumulative grades earned at SPHS.
- Leadership activities – list positions held, work involved, years of service.
- Community or extracurricular activities in the last 3 years – list positions held, work involved, and years of service, any special awards, honors, etc.
- Personal statement – An essay written by you regarding your goal and why you deserve this scholarship.
All applications must be received by Ms. Gill no later than April 10, 2017.
The selection of the scholarship recipients will be based on the following criteria:
- Academic excellence (cumulative Grade Point Average of 3.5 or better).
- Leadership involvement in school and community activities.
- Personal statement.
The SPCC Scholarship Committee will select the scholarship recipients. This committee will consist of five or more members appointed by the SPCC Board of Directors.
Notification & Presentation of Award
The scholarship recipients will be notified by announcement at the SPHS Awards Night.
2010: Christine Chung, Emma Kikuchi
2011: Christine Chen, Julianna Bulgardli
2012: Tiffany Chen, Brianna Loo
2013: Eui Hyeon Song, Isabel Chin
2014: Samuel Chen, Karinna Loo